Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Moment Of Change

As young children, often times we are not able to comprehend fully the elements in our environment and lives that indirectly affects us. This is why it is crucial to have critical thinkers and people around the youth today and in future generations to plant seeds of positive energy and the mindset to help people that are less fortunate than yourself.
I can vividly remember a time in my childhood when I was ten and eleven years of age and my father would take me to a homeless shelter to feed the homeless. At first, I really didn't understand who these people were, but after my first day of helping in the kitchen, I had so many questions for my dad. He informed me that these people lived in the streets and we talked about different scenarios that may have led them to this place. He always taught me that these people matter in a community and to not look down on them because no one could predict the future or judge anyone. He proclaimed, anyone could be in a predicament like this. I always enjoyed going to the soup kitchen to help because it made me feel like I was helping their day be a little easier and it felt good. These years definitely changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment